Our coach/consultant/educator and director of programming is Richard Parr, a veteran in the world of rowing with nearly 30 years of experience coaching at high school, collegiate, national team and Olympic levels around the globe. He also has bachelor's degrees in music and physical education, and a master's in physical education with a specialization in motor learning.
Richard started out as a coxswain at Queen's University in Canada in the late 1980s, after a motorcycle accident left him searching for an alternative to the soccer he loved.
As he outgrew coxing — literally! — he began coaching, both for the university and the local rowing club. Since the early 1990s, his experience has included:
- Marietta College, Ohio, U.S.A. (Coach)
- University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada (Coach)
- Canadian National Team Development Camp (Coach)
- Alberta Provincial Coach
- New Zealand Rowing (Coach Education, Regional Coaching, Junior National Team Coordinator)
- Irish Rowing (High Performance Director, 2004 Olympics)
- New Zealand Rowing (Otago University Teaching Fellow - Coaching, Basic Physiology, and Advanced Resistance Training)
- Otago Rowing Association, NZ, (Head Coach)
- Southland Rowing Association, NZ, (Head Coach)
- Otago University, Dunedin, NZ (Coach, Men's 8)
- Consultant Coach, South Island Rowing Clubs/Associations, NZ
- Vashon Island, WA, U.S.A. (Head Coach, local club)
And that pretty much brings us up to now, as he starts this new chapter of his career building a high-performance training and coach-education center here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
That would be me (Sarah), Richard's wife and Managing Director of this endeavor. I'm running the business end of things, wearing many hats (administrative necessities, marketing, social media, client, media and public relations, webmaster, photographer, scheduler, etc. etc.) drinking a lot of coffee and behind the scenes mostly. Though if you have connected with us on social media or follow our blog, you have already "met" me, and if you come to train or to any of our educational offerings, I'll be a concierge of sorts for your time on the island.
I'm also a reporter for the local newspaper.
It is our mission to provide the opportunity for coaches and rowers to improve their performance, understanding, and enjoyment of the sport of rowing, while assisting them in setting and achieving their goals.